Monday, November 27, 2006

Installing the Bees.

A quick look at installing honeybees from packages


Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees
Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees

This example uses hives which have been split from other hives - they have frames with drawn comb and some honey also, but the installation is the same if you have frames with only foundation. I set up the top supers, which are half filled with honey on my side walk, placed the removed frames from the bottom supers and the packaged bees their while I readied the bottom boards and brood supers. I used the smoker to get them a bit better in the mood for the installation.

Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees
Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees

I brought over a shipping cage and took off the top board holding the feeder can and queen cage off. I carefully took out the queen cage, inspected it to see she was fine and removed the small cork that would prevent the workers from chewing their way into the queen cage to get her out too soon.

Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees
Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees

I temporarily covered the entrance where the queen cage was pulled out from the shipping cage and placed the queen into the comb-less foundation - due to the ridiculous metal strapping used to attach the queen cage to the frame - I prefer nylon straps that allow you to further drop the queen cage further into the hive that at the very to as shown in the photo.

Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees
Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees

I removed the side and bottom wood rails that held the cage screen in place, rolled the screen upwards out of the way and banged the shipping cage DISLODGING most of the bees in one good plop into the hive through the few frames I had removed. I shook out any remaining bees easily without having to force them through the small feeder can hole. This keeps the bees very calm and they will go right to work.

Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees
Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees

I replaced the frames into the hive and returned the second story high super into place. As you probably noticed, I skipped a few steps from C1 to C2, since the steps are identical for each installation and the final product is hives ready for action. This whole process can take only minutes if you are prepared. And just as quick the bees will be off doing orientation flights.

Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees
Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees

Finally, I placed the two feeder cans filled with syrup over to the hive entrance feeders until I got a chance to open these cans, mix it's content with my sugar-water mixture and place glass gars where the tin cans are located in the photo below. The final photo - taken early during the install shows EXACTLY how close to my neighbors property line is.

Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees
Beekeeping. Installing Honeybees


This is pretty basic installation and shouldn't take more than a half an hour to do two hives. Ideally, you can do one hive at a time with about a 1 hour break in between.

Source: www.beemaster.com

No comments: